Thousands of reasons cause Windows cannot patch updates such as driver conflict, application crash, previous update not successful, etc…Then you tried many ways to get it fixed but no result even may cause serious damage to the machine.
Of course, an Administrator you always expect to minimize the system downtime as much as possible while getting a fault.
So, how to deal with while Update Windows Stuck and loop reboot at Stage 2 of 4 Preparing to configure Windows.
There are several methods you should try:
Kill Windows services
- Open services -> Right-click “Services (Local)” and select “Connect to another computer …” connect to the target machine, navigate to “Windows Module Installer” you will see the service is stopping state.
- Kill the trustedinstaller.exe from a remote server by using PSTOOL, you can download this utility here:
C:\PSTools\PsExec.exe \\targetmachinename cmd
C:\WINDOWS\system32> taskkill /S hostname /IM trustedinstaller.exe
You will see the target machine is shutting down. Then your machine will come up normal.
You can try to unplug the network cable, then try to reboot the machine. This also a trick.
Last but not least, you may need to delete all the fails update packages. Remember that it will delete update history also.
- Open services, navigate and stop 2 service name “Windows Update” and “Background Intelligent Transfer Service”.
- In the Windows folder, find the folder named SoftwareDistribution and open it, delete all the sub-folder.
- Start “Windows Update” and “Background Intelligent Transfer Service” services.
That’s it. I hope it helps.